Sep 10, 2001

Weak end.

Pierluigi and I were suppose to go to Umbria. But he had a fever so we stayed in Rome. He spent the week-end in bed and I spent it on the sofa reading.

Jay and Susan.
I've read that women suffer from depression more that men do. Maybe because being around men can be depressing....all of the books I've read lately written by men are such downers. For example, INTIMACY by Hanif Kureishi. Intimacy gives us the thoughts and memories of a middle-aged writer (Jay) on the night before he walks out on his wife and two young sons for of a younger woman. Susan, his wife (she's not even his wife because he's never wanted to marry her) takes care of the children, cooks and cleans plus has a job. She's organized, intelligent, reliable. She's even accepted the fact that her man has lovers. The only thing she seems to be guilty of is that of sometimes being slightly aggressive and of never being the one to initiate sexual intercourse with him. Jay says of Susan "She thinks she's feminist, but she's just bad-tempered." Well if I did my best to make my man happy and look after the kids and keep the house operating and all my man could do is whine and be unsatisfied, I'd probably be ill-tempered, too.

Some INTIMACY quotes:
Because words are actions and they make things happen.
Hurting someone is an act of reluctant intimacy.
Unfortunatley, to get to the future one has to live through the present.
The world is a skirt I want to lift up.
At a certain age sex can never be casual.
I'm turning off; rebelling against rebellion.
One is always nearer by not keeping still.
....ambition without imagination is always clumsy.
His beliefs give him stability, meaning, and a centre.
Pursuing nothing, he waited.
Art is easy for those who can do it, and impossible for those who can't.
Sometimes too much of everthing is as bad as too little.
Without love, most of life remains concealed.


The book is now a film. Directed by Patrice Chereau. Yeah, the French have it in their blood to turn everything into something Existential.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google