Oct 17, 2002

still in bloom
I'd like to have a garden. I'd like to get down on my knees and dig in the dirt. Put seeds in the ground, water them and watch them grow. But I don't have a garden. So I buy books about bulbs and shrubs and imagine the smell of honeysuckle under my nose. Subliminal sniffs.
I do my planting elsewhere. Like in the kitchen window. On a piece of paper. And in his heart.
Be here now.
My boyfriend's out-of-town. He's in Milan so I'll be sleeping alone. No flowers in my bed tonight. Bruce Springsteens's on TV. He's singing about an empty bed, too. Yeah, we have something in common. Like Born in the USA.
Years ago when I was still married and living in Tuscany, Jennifer and I went out drinking one evening. Came home really animated. We put Bruce on and began our own version of "Live". My ex was not impressed. Didn't matter. I was busy dealing with my ying and my yang. You know, when you live in a foreign country, there's a part of yourself that you're forced to repress. And sooner or later it has to come out. Especially for someone from Texas.
After so many years here, though, the "foreign" of the countries has been inversed. No, not inversed but multiplied. I'm foreign here and now I'm foreign there.

As for my ex, even weeds grow.



The Mutter Museum via bob the corgi--Impossible Object Solutions via plep--The Hornby Top Ten via riley dog-- what is beauty? still via riley dog--how songbirds learn their songs via context--The erotics of type via travelers diagram--32 pictures of barbie via gmtPlus9--THE VISUAL TELLING OF STORIES via spitting image---- antiTheory via new things--"October is the month of painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes round the world. As fruits and leaves and the day itself acquire a bright tint just before they fall, so the year near its setting. October is its sunset sky; November the later twilight" by H. D. Thoreau via portage-- THUMBMONKEY weblog via dr. menlo--"Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?" - Lily Tomlin at whiskey river--see the beauty at cobaltica of these "paintings", they are actually mixed media works that are predominantly paint. -- An artist who divides her time between concrete and cactuses, Andrea Zittel doesn’t need to be told that opposites attract. via dangerous chunky--Cakes just made for coffee via bread, coffee, chocolate, yoga--Real Simple via not martha--MASTuRBAKERS erotic cakes via geisha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google