Mar 17, 2003

the poetics of space
I haven't been posting much lately. I've been busy. Mentally. It's been over a year now that I've been looking for a space to use as my studio. In Rome, it's not easy. Mainly because space, being so limited, is expensive. In September I thought I'd finally found a place. It even had a garden. But, unfortuantely, there were so many bureaucratic problems involved that I finally had to give up thinking about it. Now, maybe (corne corne bis corne knock-on-wood), I've finally found My Studio.
When I lived in Tuscany, my home and studio shared the same place. Now, for the first time, my studio, as opposed to my home, will represent just me because the house I live in represents those who live with me as well. My studio will become an extention of myself. I can't wait. Because my body alone isn't big enough to contain me.
Personal spaces influence our sense of identity. We shape our spaces. And our spaces shape us. That's why our home represents our most intimate values. (Could I ever fall in love with a man who didn't have A Bunch of Books and decent wine glasses?)

And for artists who don't make Portable Art, a physical space to work in is fundamental. You know, the dialectics of inside and out.

Imagination increases the value of reality.

Proxemics....the study of the nature, degree, and effect of the spatial separation individuals naturally maintain (as in various social and interpersonal situations) and of how this separation relates to environmental and cultural factors

The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard book-- Bachelard explains that what Balzac seems to intend is a definition of "determined opposition in the face of affronted space" --The Power of Place book--Space and Place: The Perspective of Experience book--Art for Social Spaces----Mayan Conceptualization of Space and Time--A Room of Ones Own by Virginia Woolf --ETTORE SOTTSASS Jr. --the threshold--the importance of place in architecture--The Power of Place for women--The Importance of 'Place' in the Spiritual Life--Heidegger’s Hölderlin and The Importance of Place--The Importance of Place--personal space for the soul weblog--Personal-space invaders--Sacred Spaces --"Geometry of Psychological Space" -- Emotion, Movement & Psychological Space--Psychological Effects of Space Exploration--Lost In Space

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google